Are you experiencing any symptoms out of the blue and don’t know if medical intervention is necessary? Being aware and proactive about your body is an important factor in keeping yourself healthy.
Routine health checks can detect any early signs of diseases and early detection can lead to better outcomes. If you are experiencing any of these subtle signs, it means that you need to get a health check as soon as possible.
We lead hectic lives and it is normal to feel tired. But if this tiredness is becoming overwhelming and is not being relieved by sleep then it’s a sign that something is not right. Unexplained fatigue can be due to many reasons:
- Anaemia: Caused due to iron deficiency
- Vitamin B12 deficiency: Lack of vitamin B12 or poor absorption from the diet
- Hypothyroidism: When the body produces too little thyroid hormone
- Vitamin D deficiency: Low levels of this nutrient can lead to fatigue, bone and muscle pain
Shortness of breath
If you can’t draw a complete breath or feel discomfort in doing so, then it means you’re suffering from underlying health conditions . Shortness of breath (sudden or gradual) can be due to many reasons:
- Overweight: Having extra kgs can contribute to breathing difficulties
- OSA: Obstructive Sleep Apnea that happens in obese people
- Asthma: Inflammation and narrowing of the airways
- Pneumonia: Build-up of fluid and pus in the lungs
- Pulmonary hypertension: High blood pressure that affects arteries in the lungs
- COPD: Disease that leads to shortness of breath and poor lung function
Having headaches once in a while is manageable and can be relieved by rest and OTC medicines. But if headaches are frequent and occur almost every day then it can be . Chronic headaches are of different types and can occur constantly:
- Tension headache: Mild to moderate pain that feels like a tight band around the head
- : Intense Migraine headachepain accompanied by nausea and sensitivity to light & sound
- Cluster headache: Relatively short but excruciating headaches occurring every day
- Hypnic headache: rare kind of headache that occurs exclusively in the night
If you are unusual or debilitating headache, it is important to experiencing consult a doctor right away. After a thorough examination, the doctor will ask you to go for some tests and then come to a prognosis.
Pain in the abdominal area is one of the most common health complaints. It can be sudden or can gradually increase with time. Here are some reasons why these stomach aches occur:
- Upper abdominal pain: Pain with burps or sour taste can indicate acute gastritis and acid reflux
- Recurring abdominal pain: If accompanied by fatigue and appetite loss, it can mean you anaemia and vitamin deficiencies
- Pain with vomiting and diarrhoea: May point towards a GI tract infection.
- Abdominal pain along with missed periods: This can indicate pregnancy. It is best that you take a pregnancy test to be sure
- Severe abdominal pains along with backache and urinary issues: Can point towards kidney stones or infection. A kidney function test will be recommended
- Abdominal pains during periods(abnormal bleeding): Abnormal or heavy bleeding can be indicative of PCOD , endometriosis or thyroid issues . It is best to consult a gynaecologist for a better understanding
Change in bowel movements
Bowel movements reflect how good is your health. Changes in bowel habits can be caused by various conditions, ranging from a temporary infection to an underlying medical disorder. These conditions indicate that you need to see a doctor:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS): Intestinal disorder that causes abdominal pain, diarrhoea and constipation
- Crohn’s disease: Inflammatory disease that affects the digestive tract lining
- Thyroid disorder: Hypothyroidism is a condition wherein the body produces underactive thyroid which can result in constipation
- Ulcerative colitis: In this condition, ulcers develop in the lining of colon and rectum
Other symptoms to watch out for
Health is wealth
With proactive management, a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle, you can prevent most diseases. By getting yourself screened regularly, you’ll help your doctor detect problems at the very beginning and get you on a treatment program early that can prevent the condition from occurring or worsening at a later stage.
To help evaluate your lifestyle and health risks, preventive at a discounted price on health checks are recommended once a year. You can now book these tests MFine. Your road to healthy living is just one tap away.